If going gluten free is one of your New Year’s resolutions, here is a great recipe for gluten free chocolate bread pudding from Dr. Richard Collins. The Cooking Cardiologist®.
Bread pudding has never been easier to make than this and its wheat free! Usual bread pudding leaves your tummy heavy and full. My secret is using gluten free bagels from Udi’s. This pudding is rich and dense, but at the same time, lighter. Another trick is in the custard base. Since ice cream is basically frozen whipped custard, the process is reversed by using melted ice cream as the custard base. Ice cream without additives such as cookies, candies or thickeners are gluten free. Check the ingredient list to be sure. Using a true vanilla bean ice cream, the richness is there without more sugar or vanilla. Ice cream can be purchased fat free, sugar free, reduced fat, lactose free and even non‐dairy. The choice is yours depending on your health needs.
1.5 qt low‐fat French vanilla ice cream, melted (makes approximately 4 cups)
½ cup gluten free almond milk
1½ cups rich dark semi‐sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli is my favorite)
½ cup egg substitute
3 gluten free Udi’s bagels, cut into ¼ inch cubes (about 4 cups)
2 T sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium sized Dutch oven, add 2 cups of the melted ice cream.
- Chill the remaining 2 cups to use as a “crème anglaise”. Heat the ice cream on low heat.
- Add the almond milk. Place 1 cup of the chocolate chips into the pan (reserve the other ½ cup for later).
- Whisk to blend. Take off the heat after the chocolate is melted (again low heat).
- Whisk in the egg substitute.
- Add the bagel cubes and remaining ½ cup of the chocolate chips folding into the
- Transfer to a 13” by 9” baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the center has set.
- Serve warm with the cooled “crème anglaise”, (chilled melted vanilla ice cream).
Nutrition Information: Does not include “crème anglaise.”
Calories: 281, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Sodium: 163 mg, Carboydrates: 42 g,
Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 5 g