Richard Collins, MD
The Cooking Cardiologist
This recipe is for a wonderful fall soup adapted from Martha Stewart. The sweetness of the apples compliment the flavors of the squash and pumpkin seeds, while the chicken can be added for extra protein.
- 11⁄2 pounds butternut or kabocha squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp + 11⁄2 tsp of Truvía® natural sweetener,* divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tart apples such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small apple for optional garnish
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 roasted chicken, deboned and chopped (optional)
- *or 5 packets Truvía® natural sweetener
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Toss cubed squash with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 13⁄4 tsp of Truvía® natural sweetener (or 2 packets) and spread out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 20–30 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, gently stirring halfway through roasting. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté 4–6 minutes or until softened. Add apples and thyme and sauté 5 minutes more. Add broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10–15 minutes or until apples are tender. Stir in roasted squash to combine.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender until very smooth. If soup is too thick, add additional water until desired consistency is reached. Return to pan and season with 23⁄4 tsp Truvía® natural sweetener (or 3 packets) and salt.
- Divide between bowls and garnish with thinly sliced apple, pepper and pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Info: Calories100, Total Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 170mg, Total Carbohydrate: 19g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Protein: 4g
If adding optional chicken, add: Calories: 145, Total Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g,
Tans Fat:0 g, Cholesterol: 66 mg, Sodium: 55 mg, Carbohydrate: 0 g, Dietary Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 17g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Carbohydrate