It can be hard to eat a heart healthy diet, especially when socializing. Even the best intentions can crumble when presented with decadent brie and tempting cured meals before the dinner even begins! Make every bite count and start the meal off right with these two quick and easy healthy appetizers courtesy of EatingWell that heart doctors love!
Makes 16 skewers. Preparation time 10 minutes.
- 16 small fresh mozzarella balls
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 toothpicks
Preparation: Place mozzarella, basil and tomatoes on toothpicks. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 servings. Preparation time 15 minutes.
- 1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot or 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Healthy pita chips or raw vegetables for dipping
Preparation: Combine ricotta, 2 tablespoons thyme, shallot (or chives), lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a food processor. Puree for a few seconds until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl the top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with thyme. Serve with pita chips or raw vegetables. You can even make this a day ahead, just cover and refrigerate!
Start and stay on track with these healthy appetizers! Quick and delicious, they’ll keep all your guests feeling good.
How to Use This Information:
To learn more about eating a heart healthy diet, schedule an appointment with South Denver Cardiology today to discuss your heart health. To schedule an appointment, call us at 303-744-1065, or visit our website here.