Richard E. Collins, MD
THE COOKING CARDIOLOGIST
South Denver Cardiology Associates
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? In this case it is both. These “chicks” are truly little “angels”. No devil in these cuties. Here is a way to convert Deviled Eggs into cute Angel Chickie Eggs with fewer calories, fat and still maintain the flavor of the standard egg icon in America. The fat, calories and cholesterol are in the yolks which are discarded while the good protein is in the egg white (albumin). Try this heart healthy deviled eggs recipe on your family…just do not tell them ahead of time. You can make them into Chicks or stuff the egg whites just like original deviled eggs without the calories or cholesterol.
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled
- 6 eggs, boiled and peeled
- ½ cup fat free mayonnaise
- 1 T yellow mustard
- 1 t Dijon styled mustard
- 1 t sweet pickle juice
- Paprika for garnish
- Parsley garnish for eyes
- 1 small carrot for a beak
1) Peel and boil potatoes. Mash to a very fine consistency and when cooled, add the fat free mayonnaise, mustards and pickle juice. Mix well and adjust consistency to be able to hold the shape. Set aside.
2) Peel boiled eggs. Save the shells for garnish. Before removing the yolks, use a small sharp paring knife to create a gaged edge. Be careful to go slowly. It is OK if the egg white breaks slightly as the filling will “glue” it back together. Remove the yolk. Using a pastry bag filled with potato mixture, fill with the mixture and form a second small ball to place on the top. Cut small beaks with the carrot and form small eyes with trimmed parsley leaf. To stand the chick upright, it may be necessary to flatten the bottom slightly with the paring knife. Garnish with shells.
Serves 6. Serving size: two egg halves.
Nutritional analysis: Calories 104, Total Fat 0 g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 256 mg, Carbohydrates 20 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein 5 g.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, ½ Meat
Usual Deviled eggs: Calories 140, fat 8.4g, cholesterol 214 g, protein 6.4g.
If you need more of an egg yolk flavor, then add ½ the amount of egg yolks. For 6 eggs, add 3 of the egg yolks into the potatoes.
Heart Healthy Omega-3 Angel Eggs
Eggals and Lox’s
Prepare eggs and remove yolks. Finely chop a small red onion. Place a small portion of the red onion into the halved egg. Then add a small dollop of reduced fat cream cheese. Top with a thin slice of smoked salmon. Garnish with capers on top of the salmon or chopped fresh dill.